CONCORD is looking for a press officer
CONCORD is the European Confederation of relief and development NGOs. We are made up of 57 member organisations: 28 national platforms, 25 international networks and 4 associate members, which together represent over 2,600 NGOs, supported by millions of citizens across Europe. We are the main interlocutor with the EU institutions on development policy, funding and practice.
CONCORD is seeking a highly-motivated individual to join the Membership, Outreach and Communication Team as the press officer of CONCORD.
The purpose of this role is to work together with the Communications Coordinator in order to increase CONCORDs visibility & profile and to promote CONCORDs messages towards our external stakeholders (EU institutions, media and journalists, partners and allies) and engage CONCORDs communication community.
You will work together with the Communications coordinator to implement and monitor all CONCORD communications in alignment with our vision, strategy and values.
Key areas of responsibility
● Lead on media work by building relationships with key Brussels-basedjournalists.
● Draft, edit and produce blogs, press releases, opinion pieces for the EU and international media.
● Brief journalists on CONCORD topics.
● Ghostwrite blogposts for the Director.
● Support the implementation of the communication strategy.
● Develop content and innovative tools related to the Confederations topics and adapt them according to the communication channel (images, social media sets, video and written).
● Together with the Communications Coordinator act as the guardian of CONCORDs branding; maintain and implement a coherent editorial style and tone for the Confederation, and strengthen the public image of CONCORD.
● Together with the Communications Coordinator monitor the impact of CONCORDs communications (social media and media).
● Support members engagement in the confederation work using communication tools, newsletters mainly.
● Support the Comms Coordinator in the development of CONCORDs publications (including CONCORDs Annual Report) which will include planning, some writing and editing, taking care of layout and design plus all contact with printers and distributors.
● Support the organisation of certain events and activities, such as the General Assembly.
The successful candidate will understand and be committed to CONCORDs vision and goals and be able to contribute to CONCORDs ambition to pursue a transformational agenda at EU level.
● Academic background or professional experience in the development and/or human rights sector;
● Proven writing and editorial skills.
● Knowledge of social media and online communication channels.
● Good understanding of EU policy-making and influencing processes andstrategies.
● Interest in and good knowledge of EU politics and processes including issues pertaining to sustainable development.
● Competence with standard Office software, Adobe tools, andWordpress.
● At least 5 years of professional experience (excluding internships) in communication work.
● Experience working for a civil society, membership or other purpose-driven organisation.
● Experience in drafting and revising texts (e.g. press releases) under timepressure.
● Experience as a journalist is welcome
● Experience in publication and design and in managing social media, isdesirable.
● Familiar with the EU media landscape and with sustainable developmentissues.
● Passion for writing.
● Good presentation skills applicable to both internal and externalevents.
● Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including tactful and effective facilitation skills to build consensus.
● Strong planning and organisational skills.
● Ability to prioritise while managing multiple projects simultaneously.
● Ability to work under pressure and towards tight deadlines.
● Team player; proactive; self-starter.
● Capable networker, able to coordinate and operate effectively incoalitions.
● Confidence and fluency in communicating to external audiences on CONCORDs work in your areas of focus.
● Fluent level written and spoken English; working knowledge of Frenchdesirable.
Conditions of Employment
Contract: One-year 80% position (CDD) with possibility of conversion to permanent contract (CDI) on successful completion
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Gross salary: from €2660,80 per month (based on a gross salary of €3326 per month at 100%), depending on experience
Other benefits: thirteenth month; holiday allowance; hospitalisation insurance; affiliation to pension scheme; meal vouchers and a monthly commuting allowance on local public transport or by bicycle.
The position reports to the Head of department
If you are interested, please send: 1) a CV (max. 2 pages, no photo) 2) a cover letter explaining your motivation (max. 1 page) and 3) a completed exercise (see below) to: firstname.lastname@example.org, with the Subject: Press Officer Application. Please, note that only applications and CVs written in English will be accepted.
The closing date for applications is 25 October 2020. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. The first round interviews and a writing exercise will take place on 30 October 2020. A second interview will be on 6 November 2020. Ideal start date: as soon aspossible.
No possibility for visa sponsorship. You should have a valid work permit to work inBelgium.
Exercise for Press Officer position
As the Press Officer, you will be in charge of ghostwriting blog posts on behalf of CONCORDs Director. Whether it is current or foreseen, civil society organisations are facing many challenges. With this in mind, please write approximately 250 words for the CONCORDs next blogpost.
Thursday 01 october 2020 / Sunday 25 october 2020
T. +32 (0)2 743.87.60 / 84